Beetroot and Heirloom Carrot Salad with Persian Fetta
Unsure what to cook for dinner? This salad is a beautiful meal on it’s own or can be a side dish for a roast. Firmer vegetables like beetroot and carrot retain their intense flavour and texture when cooked in the SMEG Combi-Steam Oven.
Prep + Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- 250g golden baby beetroot, trimmed
- 250g red baby beetroot, trimmed
- 400g baby carrots, trimmed
- 400g baby purple carrots, trimmed
- 1 large red onion (300g), cut into thick wedges
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 900g Persian fetta, drained and crumbled
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Set SMEG Combi-Steam Oven to steam+static+fan+ function. Preheat to 220°C with 20% steam. Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- Make honey dressing: whisk ingredients together in a small bowl; season to taste.
- Scrub beetroot and carrot. Halve any large ones. Place on prepared tray with onion. Spoon half the dressing over the vegetables; toss to coat. Season. Roast for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir mustard into remaining dressing.
- Arrange vegetables on a platter; top with mint and fetta. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
SMEG tip: Colourful heirloom carrots, in hues of purple, taste the same as their orange cousins, and were in fact the norm, until the Dutch developed the modern-day orange cultivators in the 17th Century.
This article was supplied by SMEG. Join us at the Stocks Appliances Cooking Stage for live demonstrations of SMEG and other appliances in action! Chef Judy Keays will demonstrate some of the many benefits of cooking with SMEG products.